Sunday 19 August 2012

Trash to Treasure

I find the thrill of finding a good bargain exhilirating.  I am a self-confessed cheapskate who frequents thriftstores, consignment shops and the "used" section of craigslist and kijiji.  But nothing beats the excitement of finding "curbside" treasures.  The moment I spot something with potential, my imagination goes frenzy as I envision the possibilities.

It doesn't hurt that my husband works in the waste industry.  And lately, he has been coming home with good finds of his own.  One example is this Kroehler arm chair (it says so on the chair).  With the right fabric and a good upholsterer, this piece can add extra seating to the living or dining room.


Ok, this is a long shot but the copper pots he brought home doesn't show much potential in its current state.  But, with a slice of lemon and kosher salt, he said he can restore the pots to its original finish.  I envision using it as a planter for a topiary in our garden.


Finally, the furniture legs he found had seen better days.  But, they are a perfect for another piece of mid-century cabinetry I picked up on the curb that I plan to restore one of these days.


It doesn't hurt to take a second glance at discarded pieces from your neighbour's lawn.  After all, you are doing good for the planet if you re-use and recycle. 


Enjoy your Sunday!

1 comment:

  1. Aimee, you are a girl after my own heart. I do love thrift shops, garage sales, Kijiji, and I too am a cheapskate. Stop the Van! I have done a few years to my husband when seeing something discarded to the side of the road; often times then not there has been a use for it by us.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...